Monday, 10 March 2014

See a penny

I was walking on footpaths with my wife through a town. We kept going through the metal barriers set at angles to prevent cyclists using the paths. 

As we past through one, I saw a large coin on the floor. I picked it up and saw that it was an old penny from 1918. I smiled and put it in my pocket. 

At the next barrier I again saw a coin on the floor and that was an old half penny which had the date 1930 on it. I put it in my pocket too. 

It was then dark and I was waiting for a bus. I was first in the queue and I was waiting for either a 174 or a 175. Both would take me to my destination of Romford in Essex. 

As a bus arrived loads of old people queue jumped and filled the bus. I had to squeeze on and sat on the wheel arch. It was a very uncomfortable ride. 

The old penny was 31mm in diameter and was minted from 1860 to 1970. 
The half penny dated back 700 years and was ended in 1969. 

  
09 10